Monday, April 28, 2008

Drum Roll Please....

Today we visited Atlanta Maternal Fetal Medicine for an ultrasound of our baby, and wouldn’t you know, the technician said she couldn’t tell the gender (although she did say it had a beautiful little 4-chambered heart). She gave us a few pics and sent in the doctor.

He was very nice and began explaining to us why I was sent to a perinatologist, being 'advanced maternal age' with gestational diabetes and all that (I don’t suppose he realized that ‘I’ made the choice to have my ultrasound there). He gives us his practiced explanation about genetic disorders and the types of indicators they are looking for with the ultrasound (by this point, Jeff is thinking the doc’s trying to break some bad news to us). According to the doc, everything looks fine (heart, measurements, facial features, etc).

Then, he has me roll on to my side to give the baby more room and hopefully get a good view of the “equipment”. Lo and behold, there it is...we are having a little boy! He says, “That’s definitely boy stuff right there!” He zooms in and actually outlines "the stuff" for us on the picture.

Of course, we are very excited (I’m sure we would be either way). On the way home, Jeff’s making jokes to his dad on the phone about taking on the responsibility of continuing the family name. Dennis, my step-dad jokingly told my mom that he doesn’t understand why all his prayers didn’t work (he was hoping for another girl). I told Mom that I’m sure many more people for praying for us to have a son. In my mind, I’m thinking “this really changes things”, but I look forward to having a little boy to love. The girls are very happy to have a brother.

Now comes the task of deciding a name. We have always been drawn to older, less common names, and I'm sure that will be our preference when it comes to naming our son. I've always liked the name John, but Jeff says that even though it's old, it's also too common. However, when I suggested we pair it with Jeffrey, I got a totally different response: "John Jeffrey... I like that! It's just a good, strong name."

Hmmmm... I thought so!

No comments: