Monday, June 30, 2008

A Little Praise

With each of my previous pregnancies, I had gestational diabetes that I was able to control by careful eating and monitoring my glucose levels four times a day. When I found out I was pregnant this time around, the obstetrician immediately put me on the diet I followed before, along with the monitoring.

So since week 14, I have been pricking my finger when I first wake up and again two hours after breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I make sure that I eat the right foods in the right amounts and in the right combination with very little 'cheating'. My numbers have been good for the most part, and I have felt healthy with minimal weight gain (only 4 lbs according to the doctor's charts, and I am at 30 weeks! Of course, they don't count the 3-4 lbs I gained during the first trimester when I was not even aware I was pregnant :o)

The fact that I feel good and am not packing on pounds is a praise in itself. But added to that is the great news that when I called this morning for the results of my 1-hour glucose tolerance test I had last Monday, the nurse said that my levels are normal! And my blood iron levels are within range, too! I nearly cried(which is easy to do lately, just ask my husband)... not because the diet and monitoring are so awful, but because God is so faithful and good.

I plan to continue on the diet for the rest of the pregnancy, because the results have been very beneficial. Hopefully, I will be able to maintain it even after Baby Boy arrives in 8 - 10 weeks. The girls and I are going to have a time of praise during lunch, and I might even have a chocolate chip cookie to celebrate (made fresh by hubby yesterday with whole wheat, oats, flax seed, and honey). And yes, I'll be sure to count it as part of my carbs :o)

No comments: